Podcasting at Wits
1415 days ago
At Wits, we have opportunities to use podcasting to support teaching-and-learning, as a means to promote our research, as well as to engage with the broader community.
Where the material is visual, there are a number of online services that allow you to quickly synchronize a podcast with a slide presentation in OpenOffice, PowerPoint or Keynote, and create a media rich tool. Of course, at this point it is no longer a podcast and the student needs to be online to view it. But it does illustrate how podcasts can be extended to provide richer experience.
Benefitis of Podcasting at WITS:
- allowing an absent student do download the podcast of the recorded lecture;
- allowing students to replay the lecture after it has taken place;
- providing a means for lecturers to communicate curriculum, assignments and other information with students and other stakeholders;
- record book discussions, vocabulary or foreign language lessons, medical practical’s, interviews, and debates;
- learning and teaching language;
- students conduct interviews in the field and produce 'radio show' podcasts;
- students record interview process, and upload for assessment;
- Publishing student oral presentations.
- Convenience for both faculty and students ofì portable digital course content, and reduced dependence on physical materials
- Flexible location-independent access to digital, multimedia course materials, including reduced dependence on lab or library location and hours.
Pedagogical Perspective Benefits of Podcasting in academic use:
- Effective and easy-to-use tool for digital recordings and interviews, filed, notes, small group discussions, and self- recording of oral assignments
- Greater student engagement and interest in class discussions, labs, field research, and independent projects
- Enhanced support for individual learning
- novel aspect of podcasts raises students interest and encourages engagement with the materials.
- Podcasts are relatively easy to create and deliver without needing specialist skills or expensive software and equipment.
- Provides an opportunity to review own teaching style and effectiveness.
- Analyze needs and engage faculty in the use of new methods, ideas and ICT, researching pedagogy in order to choose appropriate tools to complement course material.
- Research methods - both of pedagogy and of technological options helps to educate faculty in the implementation of ICT within the learning environment.
- Enable audio and slide casting capability with Podderlive and Slideshare - whatever the technology selected, it must serve the needs of the students and meet the practical realities of program, curriculum, administrators, and educators
This post has not been tagged